Sunday, May 17, 2009

Betcha the Maytag guy can't fix this ...

Okay ... that is it. I have tried my utmost to be civil, loyal, kind and loving. I have changed my attitude, I have learned to be patient and forgiving, I have become a better wife, mother and all around good person. However, I still keep getting kicked in the butt every time I turn around. Yep, I know, karma is a b.i.t.c.h. But come on ... I was NEVER so bad that I deserve all of this.


 

Life was sailing along just as smoothly as it possibly could. Hubby's job is great, finances are fair, and things in general are pretty dang good. Then, HELLO! Economy goes crazy, hubby is cut back to part-time, income is REDUCED needless to say ... but hey, we can take it. I have a bright idea. I am going to join in on a "new" trend. Actually it has been around for decades but it is picking back up - it's homesteading. Getting back to the basics.

I do lots of research, tons of studying the subject and I get ready to go. I am so excited about all that I have learned and I start to put it to use. We are pumping in water from a well. I can make my own soap and my own laundry detergent. I quit using the dishwasher and started washing dishes by hand. I even opened the windows and dared anyone to turn on the AC.

I purchased 3 hens and a rooster. They are the most beautiful animals I have ever seen. Then we end up getting 2 rescue chickens. Add to that the 10 baby chicks I got for Mother's Day and I am in HEAVEN! Okay, so I have chickens and they are laying eggs. My family laughed at how proud I was about my 2 eggs a day but they sure loved to eat them.

I had my hubby hang a clothes line. I wash the clothes in the washing machine using cold water as much as I possibly can. Then, I hang our clothes out to dry. Mmmm, they smell so fresh and clean once they are done.

I have even begun a garden. I planted corn, green beans, lima beans, tomatoes, bell peppers (red, yellow and orange), okra, squash, brussel sprouts, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, cantaloupes and watermelons. Not to mention that I have strawberries, thyme, rosemary, parsley, dill, basil and oregano growing in pots. All this and an apple tree, peach tree, muscadines and blackberries.

Okay ... so as you can tell I am well on my way and loving every single minute of it. That is until ... I become a Morton's salt commercial. You remember their slogan - "When it rains, it pours". Boy don't it.

Low and behold, the humidity becomes so thick and heavy that breathing was next to impossible and the family declared mutiny and turned on the air conditioning. It has stormed, not just rained, but stormed here for several days ... making it kinda hard to dry clothes outside. I had to start using the dryer again because no one wanted to wear their dirty clothes inside out and naked is not an option. Storms bring rain and rain is good for gardens. Too much rain is NOT good for herbs ... some of them molded and had to be put out of their misery. There is sooo much grass in my garden it will take me a month of Sundays to clear it out. I have baby peaches and apples all over the ground from the winds and tall weeds hiding my blackberries.

I was disappointed, but these things can be overcome. Right? I mean a little hard work never killed anyone, so what if I was gonna have to pull DOUBLE DUTY to get past this. Then, the absolute worst thing happened. The one and only thing that really has me doubting this "better for the family, better for the world" homesteading lifestyle. My chickens ... my tame, eating out of my hand, following me everywhere I went, simply beautiful, egg laying, dirt scratching chickens were preyed upon by EVIL. Yep, at first IT took Lucy and Lily. I cried. Then it came back and took Delilah. I got mad. Finally, somehow it mysteriously teleported into a secured, locked down, surrounded by traps, guarded by a dog - chicken coup, wiping out Ethel, Daisy and my rooster, the Colonel. Now I'm livid. Luckily I still have my 10 baby chicks that I am watcing over like a mother hen.

What the heck? Why is this happening? Do all prospective homesteaders get tested like this? Sheesh, how did the pioneers do it? I mean come on, they did all of this plus more AND they had bad cowboys and Indians to deal with. I am being beat out by rain, wind and a serial chicken killer who is sneakier than any special ops agent or James Bond around. This has to get better.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment