Sunday, September 20, 2009

1 down, 99 more to go.

I can now cross #70. Research my family tree, off of my Life List.

I realized while creating my Life List that one of the things that would enrich my life would be to research my family tree.  I had no clue about where to start so I turned to old faithful ... I googled. I came across a site called Ancestry.com. I decided that this was as good a place as any to start so I created an account. Finding out that any information I put out there is protected from prying eyes made me feel more at ease. I was equally happy with being granted access to tons of public files online.

I typed in my information( name, birth date, parents, spouse, children, etc.), my immediate family's info, and so on. Putting in the information I knew was fairly easy, finding the stuff that I hadn't a clue about worried me. While I was putting in various facts, dates and so on I noticed a little green leaf in the corner of one of the boxes. I clicked on it and to my surprise it was a "hint". In other words, there was information out there that pertained to the person on my tree.  I was so excited that I didn't even sleep that night. I was busy clicking on leaves and adding people to my family tree.

Just finding a name to add was sheer bliss, but running across photos and archived documents really upped my adrenaline. I began not only researching my family tree, I branched out. I thought about my children and added their father's family. After all, divorced or not they are still part of my family tree - they're my children's family.

As it stands, I have 1,345 people on my tree, 25 photos, 3 family stories & too many documents to count. Plus, I still have leaves that I haven't researched. I have spent the past several days wrapped up in family history, having absolutely no idea how gratifying it could be. I can't wait to share what I have found with my children. I know they will get as much pleasure out of it as I have. I am nowhere near finished but I am glad that I took the time to begin. How can we go forward if we never know where we came from.

If you never take time out to do anything for yourself, I suggest you to research your ancestors. Who knows, your family could have been adventure seekers or farmers, maybe even bank robbers and gun slingers. Whatever they were, made you what you are today. Have fun and find out your history. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment