Saturday, August 28, 2010

Common Ground


“Why cannot we work at cooperative schemes and search for the common ground binding all mankind together?”
William Orville Douglas 




My oldest daughter, Amby, is always a source of inspiration and motivation. She is talented, intelligent, beautiful and persistent. All you have to do is look at what she has become and where she is heading in life and know that your possibilities are limitless. She may be independent, but she still calls me for advice from time to time. In turn, she serves as a good source for feedback and constructive (and at times not so constructive) criticism.  Recently Amby sent me some information that I found very useful. I thought I would share what she sent me. Maybe you can use it as well.


I'm reading a book called Jesus in Blue Jeans by Laurie Beth Jones. I'm really enjoying it and it had something that I thought you might like, as well as an exercise you might could use for your project.

One chapter describes how Jesus got people to follow him. It wasn't with power or fear; it was with common ground. He didn't want to be feared - he wanted to be loved. Maybe you can use this with * top secret. Phillippians 2:1, Paul tells his listeners to "remember the Spirit that we have in common. Be united to your convictions and united in your love, with a common purpose and a common mind." Ecclesiastes 31:15 says "Judge your fellow guests' needs by your own. Be thoughtful in every way."

Question
List 16 things you and your current adversary have in common.

Question
How could you use that as a foundation for peacemaking?

Question
Pick a person or a group you are afraid of. Write down all the things you have in common.

Prayer
Dear Lord, please help me see what I have in common with those I consider my adversaries, or those whom I fear. Help me remember that Your sun shines on us all, that each of us are recipients of Your Grace, and each of us have important places in Your Ultimate Design. Help me see You in them, and help me be You to them.
Amen, and Amen.

I like that... "help me be You to them."

Love you,
Amberlyn

I am glad that I have the love and support of my family. We laugh, we cry, we argue and we try ... but most importantly we are family!

* Names hidden to protect the innocent. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment