Friday, August 27, 2010

Day One



Day One - Well, as the town crier would say, "It's 12 o'clock midnight and all is well."





As with any project, day one went well. I was so excited about starting something new that I jumped right in with both feet and took off running. I made sure to have the house clean so that I wouldn't be distracted. Both Hubby and the kids were amazed at my new found zeal for house cleaning.
Once my daily grind was complete, very early I might add, I started on my mind, body and spirit project.  I thought that working on the spirit aspect of the day first would be more beneficial. Reading and pondering inspirational quotes and poems from Maya Angelou is definitely the way to start off your day.  I have a few that I am going to work on memorizing.  For some reason or other, they seem to stand out and speak to me.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." 
"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."  

"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life." I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Reading the thoughts and wisdom of Maya Angelou  truly lifted my spirit and made me feel a bit taller and I held my head higher than usual. People such as Ms. Angelou are blessings to be treasured. 
With Maya Angelou in my head and in my heart I figured it was time to work on my body.  I slipped on my bathing suit and headed to our swimming pool. The summer has been hot, hot, hot - making the water in the pool tepid. Today this was NOT the case. I climbed the ladder and somewhat dove in rather than easing in like normal. I was immediately covered in a blanket of icy, clear water and goosebumps. When I surfaced I swam several laps around our little above ground pool. I pushed myself until my muscles burned and my arms felt like limp noodles. I continued to tread water until my legs screamed for mercy and then I laid back to float for a while. As I floated in the cold water, the warm sun was slowing warming the parts of my body not submerged and my mind was spinning story lines, giving birth to new characters and twisting plots. By the time I climbed the ladder to leave my watery bed, I was both shriveled and full of new story ideas.
Back inside I jotted down my notes, ate a little lunch and sat down to read about the mind, body, spirit connection. I did some research and found a few interesting tidbits. I was surprised to see how many people, professionals as well as lay persons, were speaking on behalf of this connection. There are so many things that we do and/or can benefit from a healthy connection of all three things. It enhances your physical and mental health, learning, stress and pain management and your life in general. Exercising all three elements will surely assist in living a much more fulfilling life. 

So, according to my goals from yesterday; Mind - learn something new, Body - swim in the pool, and Spirit - read words of inspiration to start off the day ... I successfully completed them all. Day one is down, three hundred sixty-four more to go. I only hope that I feel as good about this project half way in as I do right now.



Tasks for 08/27/10 :
Mind - Be creative.
Body - Physically leave the house & be social.
Spirit - Read words of inspiration to start off the day.






364/365

No comments:

Post a Comment